SOUPS, STEWS & STOCKS
- 1 medium size pumpkin (5-7 lbs)
- GREAT OUTDOORS SALTOPIA Artisan Infused Sea Salt to taste
- 10 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1 large white onion
- olive oil
- brown sugar and cinnamon to taste
1. Begin by washing the pumpkin and then slicing it in half. Scoop out all the seeds and stringy pulp. Set the seeds aside for roasting later. Place the halved pumpkin on a baking pan lined with foil, flesh side up. Then roast for about 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees until the flesh is softened. I like doing this part of the work in the evening. Then I place the roasted pumpkin halves into a cooler over night. In the morning the pumpkin halves are cooled and there's loads of fresh pumpkin stock ready to make your soup with. If you don't have overnight, then simply set the pumpkin halves aside to cool for at least 30 minutes before you try to remove the skin. Try to preserve the stock (water from the roasted pumpkin).
2. Once cooled, peel away the skin of the pumpkin and put the roasted flesh aside into a bowl.
3. Separately, in a saute pan, slice and brown your chopped onion and garlic cloves. Once cooked, add this saute combination to your roasted pumpkin.
4. Take heaping scoops of your roasted pumpkin, garlic, onion and place into a blender. Blend on the highest setting to create a puree. Add the pumpkin stock to smooth and thin out the pumpkin.
5. Finish with GREAT OUTDOORS, brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.
I love to garnish with fresh herbs, croutons and roasted pumpkin seeds as well! This is a whole meal - and it's so delicious!